Mount Beauty & Tawonga South
Mount Beauty was originally built by the State Electricity Commission of Victoria to house workers employed on the Kiewa Hydro Electric Scheme. Developed over 26 years and completed in the 1960s the scheme at its peak employed more than 4000 people.
Falls Creek, Australia’s premier snow resort and renowned warm season bush walking destination, is just 30km away making Mount Beauty a perfect base for family holidays and lovers of outdoor activities of all kinds including:
• A number of excellent, scenic walking trails dotted with lovely picnic places such as the 4km, one hour Mount Beauty River Walk which offers a tempting swimming hole to plunge into on a hot day
• For the fit and fearless, the downhill tracks at the Big Hill Mountain Bike Park
• In the heart of the town, the Mount Beauty Pondage is part of the Kiewa Hydro-electric Scheme used to regulate flows into the Kiewa River. It is a haven for recreational fisher-folk and boaters
• Horseriding – for an easy trail ride or a week-long horseback adventure through spectacular High Country
• And for something completely different, the magic of gliding on a scenic flight at the Mount Beauty Airpark.
- Catch a fish in the Kiewa River or the Pondage
- Sample mouth-watering fudge at the Alpine Fudge Factory Fill a basket at the Community Market, held on the first Saturday of each month
- Visit the Mount Beauty Visitor Centre to discover Mount Beauty’s beginnings as a purpose-built town for workers on the Kiewa Hydro Electric Scheme
- Hike up Mount Bogong. One for the fit and well prepared, the walk is steep and the weather highly changeable
- Check in for a weekend of great music at the Mount Beauty Music Festival or Sweet Valley Sounds in February
- Catch the thermals high above the valley in a glider
- Savour a local beer at Sweetwater Brewing Company Ph 03 5754 1881
- Explore this beautiful area on four legs with Bogong Horseback Adventures: bogonghorse.com.au
- Taste the local drops and chat with the makers at Ceccanti Kiewa Valley Ph 03 57545236 and Bogong Estate Ph 03 5754 4347
- Buy some local produce and wine at the Mount Beauty Visitor Information Centre and check out the Historical Society display
Mount Beauty is also home to one of regional Victoria’s best-loved events, the Mount Beauty Music Festival is held each April with a packed weekend program of blues, roots, country, jazz and world music as well as wine, food and markets.